Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"She has white skin"

...he repeated excitedly through the phone as easily as I would have said "she has brown hair", in his plea to make sure I identified the right picture of him with his new teacher. "Nmeli, have you seen my picture with my teacher?" "No, but I'll check when I finish talking to you." "She has white skin..." I felt a little urge to somehow tell him "ok" or "I've heard"- to quiet him, somehow communicate to him that he shouldn't say that, but if you've met my 5-year-old brother, you know he'll want to know why. So I asked myself why. His innocence. I found the picture he described



Many things amaze me, one of which is how a soul I love so much is wrapped in a skin that looks so different from mine. But why should that amaze me?
...to find within eyes of a color that mine could never have, a love towards me that I can barely grasp,
to find caught in my hair, a strand that could not have possibly grown from me
to find that fingers of a different color from mine fits perfectly within the grooves between my fingers, and feel just right being there.
Hey! That person in the different-colored skin sheds tears the same color as mine, we even laugh at the same things!
I think they're mad too; whew! I thought I was the only one who had noticed that.
I'll confess though that in the moments when those cheeks turn red, I'm thankful I got the darker face 
hehe ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment