Friday, April 12, 2013

Unlock the Cage


“God is like a lion, He doesn't need you to defend Him, just unlock the cage.” – A poet.

Sometimes, when I think of God using me, I think only of the big things, of global impact, but daily, small acts of obedience not only show God that we love Him, but unlock His power in our worlds. Look at the amazing things that resulted from Daniel’s simple decision to stay true to God when the people around Him were worshiping the king, how about his friends and the fiery furnace? They didn't have to do something especially breath-taking or extravagant for God to move, they only had to stay true to what they believed in those moments. Like many of us; big dreamers, I don’t have a problem going on endless theological arguments, or holding big events for Christ, but what about those little moments when all He asks is my simple trust? Those times when I’m talking about God to a friend and I turn down my voice when someone passes by, or times when a friend comes to me with an issue that God has helped me through before, and I can’t bring myself to tell them how I really got through it. Cos, what if they don’t believe in God? What if they “get offended?” “Is it politically correct?” Those times, those are the times that we have the opportunities to unlock the cage of God’s power to the world around us. Those little moments of obedience are the moments that unlock God’s power in our world, our campus, our neighborhoods and beyond.

Now some of you, if you’re like me, are terrified. I don’t have the right words, I am a shy person, I don’t know how to accomplish this task… well the good thing is that you don’t have to know how, you just have to trust and follow the One who knows. In Joshua 1:9, God said to Joshua, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua was about to take on an unbelievable task for the first time. God promised to be with him, and that was all He needed. God has promised to never leave nor forsake us. When the angel told Mary, a virgin that she would give birth to a son… pause and think about that for a second… how impossible is that? How could she ever go about that? She didn't even have the first natural step checked off yet, and here was her task; that she would do something she had never done in her life, had no experience doing and absolutely zero knowledge how to go about. Well she had the logical question: “[huh?] How can this be?” How will I talk to my friends about what I truly believe, how can I live everyday boldly for Christ? How do I even get started? “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.” Luke 1:35.

On this side of history, the Holy Spirit already lives in us, is already empowering us, we just need to trust Him. Simply trust. Even in the midst of fear and uncertainty, trust that whatever the consequences may be, God is big and strong enough to handle it, just like Daniel trusted. A relationship with God is personal, but it is not private. Be vulnerable to the Spirit, obey, and trust God to handle the rest. Not only does this draw the lost to the love and embrace of their maker, it grows your faith, makes it real to you, so that you don’t have to constantly convince yourself over and over again that God is real. It aids the transition of that head knowledge to your heart. We pray for revivals on our campuses, maybe God is waiting on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment