Saturday, May 11, 2013

Trust without Borders


“Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders…”

When I was learning to swim, I simply could not get myself to “lay” in the water. I could not let my feet off the pool floor… impossible! What it I fell? I just could not get myself to do it. I would try, bend over halfway  as if I was going to swim, then stumble back up again. Sometimes, however, my dad would hold my two outstretched hands, facing me, then I would stretch myself out on the pool and I could kick. While holding my hands, he would walk backwards, pulling me forward while I kicked in the water. I was, so to speak, swimming in his arms. I knew he was strong enough, he would not let me fall, his grip was firm enough, so I let my legs float – I trusted him.

You find the need to trust when you can’t handle everything by yourself, when you don’t know what to do or how to do it and there's someone who does. You trust a good doctor’s prescriptions, because although you don’t know all the details of your illness, he does. Trust echoes surrender, dependence and sometimes in the case of our relationship with God, seemingly foolish obedience. 

When you trust God, you are saying “I’m not sure about this (on my own), I can’t handle this, but I know you can, I know you are capable, I know your Word is true, so I’ll obey you. I don’t know how to work this out, but you do, I can’t handle the consequences, but you can. God, I don’t know, I just don’t know how, when, where, what, why, but I know you, and you do. I’m ignorant and maybe even scared in this area, but you are not and you are holding my hands and leading me- it’s on you, God. The bill is on your bank account.

God’s ways are not our ways; His thoughts are far above our thoughts. His plans for our lives would blow our natural minds, it would literally defy logic and probability; it is above natural- it’s supernatural. It has not even entered the heart of man what He has in store for those who love Him.

You cannot walk in the plans God has for you without trusting Him, because most of it ride on the realms of the unknown.


1 comment: